2008-10-23 - Top Six Benefits of Dry Ice Blast Cleaning for Packaging Companies
Cold Jet announces top reasons why packaging companies should consider dry ice blast cleaning as a replacement for conventional cleaning methods
CINCINNATI - October 23, 2008 - A recent Cold Jet Industrial Cleaning Habits and Practices Report identified a gap between perception and reality when it comes to effectiveness of cleaning methods and actual product quality among packaging companies. Cold Jet today announced the top six reasons why packaging companies or companies that have packaging operations should consider dry ice blast cleaning as a replacement for their conventional cleaning methods.
"Like most manufacturing companies, plant managers and engineers in the packaging industry are being asked to reduce costs and do more with less; all without impacting productivity and quality," said Gene Cooke, CEO of Cold Jet. "Improving cleaning practices is one area that can have a dramatic impact on a number of measurable business outcomes, including product quality, worker productivity, environmental and worker safety, and profits. Dry ice blast cleaning provides a faster, safer and more comprehensive clean, which eliminates a number of steps in the conventional cleaning practices of today's packaging companies."
The top six benefits of dry ice blasting for packaging companies include:
- Reduce costs - Most cleaning practices today involve a multi-step process that requires production to completely stop, and frequently includes a number of people, a variety of cleaners and secondary waste disposal that adds costs to production. Dry ice blast cleaning reduces labor costs because it can be done quickly by one person and in significantly less time than conventional manual labor. The process also eliminates the need to completely shut-down, cool, disassemble/assemble and relocate equipment for cleaning. A faster, superior clean delivers increased production and reduced scrap.
- Improve Quality - Dry ice blast cleaning has proven to be a superior cleaning method for labelers, palletizers, BIB and boxformers, air decks, airveyors, conveyors, denester, de-palletizer, electric motors, injection and blow mold cavities, as well as other equipment in a packaging environment. When glue, ink and coatings are not removed completely from the production line, then product quality suffers and unscheduled downtime is more likely to occur. This downtime delays the entire production process and is particularly bad for manufacturers of perishable products as there is a higher potential for spoilage and waste.
- Improve Productivity - By cleaning equipment in less time, plant managers will be able to get more production cycles from their existing equipment. Dry ice blast cleaning helps to reduce prolonged shut-down times, as equipment can be cleaned while hot and online. Preventive maintenance or spot cleaning can be done more frequently without impacting production.
- Prolong Life of Equipment - Dry ice blasting is a dry process that is non-abrasive, non-flammable and non-conductive; meaning it won't damage equipment and is safe for most surfaces, including electrical components.
- Improve Worker Safety - Dry ice blast cleaning eliminates exposure to volatile organic compounds (VOC) and the need to work closely with hot equipment. The process eliminates repetitive motions of hand cleaning or scrubbing, chiseling or activities that require pounding, sanding or scraping. Cold Jet�s systems have ergonomic designs that reduce physical stress on workers, including carpal tunnel and other adverse impacts caused by manual processes.
- Support Environmental Initiatives - Dry ice blasting makes productive use of otherwise unproductive CO2. The process eliminates the need for VOCs and water in the cleaning process. Traditional cleaning processes require the proper disposal of toxic waste (towels, cleansers, contaminated water, etc.). Dry ice blast cleaning does not produce secondary waste and reduces downstream contamination.
Additional information on the benefits of dry ice blast cleaning can be found at
Cold Jet is always seeking partnerships with equipment manufacturers that are interested in enhancing their product offering with a superior cleaning system that can increase their customers' productivity and satisfaction. Please contact Michael Parthenakis at 513-716-6320 or [email protected] for more information.
About Cold Jet
Cold Jet, LLC is the world leader in dry ice blasting and production technology. Since 1986, Cold Jet has been developing innovative production and cleaning solutions ranging from handheld blasting systems to customized engineered solutions that solve a variety of cleaning challenges around the world. Cold Jet offers the largest selection of environmentally responsible dry ice blasting machines, including the award-winning Aero Series and the revolutionary i3 family of precision cleaning systems, which features the company�s patented shaved ice and feeder technologies. In addition to its dry-ice based cleaning systems, the company�s dry ice production equipment is used by every major gas company worldwide to produce the highest density dry ice available. Cold Jet is a private company with global headquarters in Loveland, Ohio and international operations in Europe, Asia, Canada and Mexico. For more information, visit www.coldjet.com or call 1-800-337-9423.